Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Six years later

Because I am a nephew of Martha Dandridge Custis Washington, I share her ancestors: Of interest is her descent from the 1st Governor of Virginia, Lord De La Warr-Delaware. He too is a descendent of Henry VIII and Mary Boleyn, as am I, Elizabeth II, all of the women who have married into the royal family, starting with Princess Di(and possibly Wallis Simpson) through the latest, Winston Churchill, etc. I must call Gen. Washington the spouse of the sister of the woman from whom I descend.

Since I've begun my documentation of Patriot ancestors, I've discovered ancestor Major(Colonel) John Williams was a member of the Continental Congress, helping write the Articles of Confederation, with among others, Sam Adams; he is also listed as a founder of UNC and of Williamsboro; after their parents died in VA, he took in his younger brother and gave him an education; afterwards the brother moved to the 96 District of SC-as Brig. Gen. James H. Williams of the SC Militia, he was killed at the Battle of Kings Mountain. On my Mother's side, another uncle was killed in battle-Pvt. Edward Spaulding at Bunker Hill. So, a price was paid for our Democracy, and we should not be willing to abandon it  because foreigners and such, who have paid no price, want to throw it over.

I've gone ahead and joined the General Society of Mayflower Descendants-Alaska society, based on descent from Gov. William Bradford; that leaves another 2 dozen from whom I descend, but at $75 a line, I'll not pursue those linages.

No comments:

Post a Comment